San Felipe, Baja, Mexico
Welcome to Baja California

Greetings on behalf of the State's Secretariat of Tourism. This brochure contains basic information meant to help you understand and comply with the different laws and regulations in place, as well as tips on how to have a safe and pleasant experience in Baja California.

We strongly suggest that you take the time to read the information contained in this brochure and we also remind you that during your stay, you can call our Tourist Assistance Hot Line by dialing 078 from any public or private telephone and cellular phone service that has roaming privileges in Baja California with TELCEL, TELEFONICA MOVISTAR or NEXTEL.


  • The legal drinking age in Mexico is 18 years of age.
  • You should always carry a valid ID when visiting bars or nightclubs.
  • It's unlawful to drink on the streets or in any motor vehicle.
  • Do not drink excessively,"smart drinking"is always recommended when visiting bars or nightclubs.
  • If you plan on staying out late, make sure someone accompanies you.
  • When going to a bar or nightclub, always be aware of what you are being served and never leave your drink unattended.
  • You may be vulnerable when visiting the local "red light districts," particularly if you are departing alone in the early hours of the morning. Use common sense.


  • Disturbing the peace or being a public nuisance
  • Drinking in public.
  • Fighting.
  • Nudity or immoral conduct.
  • Use, production or sale of false documents.
  • Possession, introduction, or use of any weapon.
  • Possession, introduction or consumption of restricted drugs. (Note: Most drugs that are restricted in the U.S. Are also restricted in Mexico.)
  • Drunk driving or being under the influence of drugs.
  • Causing an auto accident or injuring someone.
  • If you are arrested, you should call our Tourist Assistance Hot Line 078 and ask them to notify the Consulate of your country. Consular officers can work to protect your legitimate interests. They can provide you with a list of local attorneys, contact your family or friends, transfer money, food and clothing to detention centers.


  • When buying any type of medication, make sure that there is no restriction for its purchase over the counter.
  • To buy any controlled medication, you need a prescription Issued by a Mexican doctor,that must include the original signature of the issuing doctor, the sea¡ from the State Health Authorities and the serial­number. Possession of controlled medication write a prescription without a Mexican medical prescription is a serious crime.
  • With a prescription you can only obtain up to 30 days of medications.
  • Under no circumstances should you obtain a prescription under false pretense, it is considered a serious federal crime.
  • For more information call the State Health Authorities by dialing the toll free number locally 01 800 025 6580, for a complete listing of controlled medication in Mexico, go to You can also contact the Federal Attorney Genera's Crime Prevention Office at 633-6889 & 90, the Association of Pharmacies at 685-0170 in Tijuana. or contact you nearest consulate.
  • Remember that if you purchase any medicine requiring a prescription and you buy it over the counter, you are at risk of being detained by the police authorities.
  • Enjoy your stay and use common sense.
  • For information on bringing prescription medication into the USA, go to


  • We recommend using local phone company Public Telephones (you can identify them by the word TELNOR) for all of your local and long distance phone calls. You need to purchase a phone card available at most retail shops.
  • To dial follow these steps:
    • 1. To dial within Mexico: 01 + area code + number.
    • 2. To dial to the USA and Canada: 00 + 1 + area code + number.
    • 3. For International Long Distance dial: OO + country code + city code + number.
    • 4. Operator-Assisted Long Distance phone calls: Within Mexico dial 020; International dial 090
  • For collect calls to the USA dial: 091 + city code + number (020 or 090 for operator assistance)
  • For local information (bilingual operator) dial: 040


  • Always ask for directions to the sites or places you want to visit.
  • City and road maps are available at visitor information centers located at the border or strategic locations within the visited city.
  • lf you get lost, find an open business and ask for directions or call our Tourist Assistance Hotline 078.
  • Visitors can be targets for pickpockets. Stay alert to what's going on around you.


  • You will find ATM's at all major bank branches throughout the State.
  • ATM's in Mexico can be used with most USA issued credit and debit cards that operate in the Cirrus or Plus system. Look for the logo on the back of your card.
  • ATM's provide only Mexican currency. (Pesos)
  • Law enforcement authorities are always on the lookout for people that prey on unsuspecting visitors. When using an ATM machine make sure that no one is looking to surprise you and please, contact the police if you feel it necessary.
  • Never give your credit card or PIN number to anyone.


  1. There are two means of public transportation for tourists in our state: Local Transportation is provided by urban bus or taxi services. Some of them are metered taxis (recommended), and some are not, in which case make sure to negotiate the fare before boarding.
  2. Foreign Transportation is provided by bus companies that cover all the State of Baja California and the rest of Mexico, they are concentrated in bus depots (Central de Autobuses). You can call the Tourist Assistance Hotline 078 for more information.


Baja California offers you excellent shopping option. Most times prices are lower than U.S. Especially in fragrance, jewelry, art objects, cosmetics and textiles. You will find the best of all the art crafts from all regions of Mexico --high quality ceramics, guitars, blown glass, wrought iron and silver, among others. In order to ensure total satisfaction, make sure to follow these suggestions:

  • When purchasing a product or hiring a service, make sure it is exactly what you requested.
  • You should always obtain a receipt or invoice.
  • Ask if the price is in Mexican pesos or USA currency.
  • The sales and services tax, known as IVA, is 10% of the bill. Hotels will also add a 2% transient occupancy tax to your room rate.


The Federal Agency of Consumer Affairs (Procuraduría Federal del Consumidor PROFECO) promotes and protects consumer rights. They can provide assistance with problems related to retail and service purveyors, such as hotels, travel agencies, restaurants, and transportation, among others.

When purchasing a product or hiring out a service, you must assure yourself that it is in good condition and you should request a receipt, invoice or purchase order that proves your payment of the service or acquisition of the product.

If you wish to file a complaint, you may call our 078 Tourist Assistance Hot Line or you can e-mail the Federal Consumer Protection Agency (PROFECO) Foreign Travelers Unit at:, or by dialing their México City office at (01152) 55 55 11 20 52 or (11 52) 55 52 11 17 23. Please send copy to:


  • Make a photocopy of your passport, credit cards and tickets and store copies in a sale place during your visit.
  • Keep a record of you traveler checks and credit cards serial numbers in a separate and safe place in case they are lost or stolen. (Traveler's checks are not widely accepted In Baja California and personal checks are not accepted anywhere)
  • Keep track of your plane or bus tickets.
  • While sightseeing or walking on the streets, we suggest carrying your purse in front of you and your wallet in your front pocket.
  • Carry only the cash you need in small denominations and never discuss your plans or the amount of money you are carrying.
  • Don't be flashy with you money, jewelry of other objects of value


  • Cuban Cigars
  • More than one liter of alcoholic beverage per person, (21 years of age or older)
  • More than $10,000 dollars (without declaring the amount to US Bureau of Customs and Border Protection)
  • Fruits and vegetables
  • Pork Meat (canned pork meat is permitted)
  • Chicken Meat (cooked meat is permitted)
    For more information about Prohibited and Restricted Items

State Secretariat of Tourism of Baja California
State-wide from any public or private
phone in Baja California.