San Felipe Traffic Advice

San Felipe, Baja, Mexico

Traffic and Other Violations
  • If you are stopped by a police officer for a traffic violation, your traffic fines must be paid at the police station. When faced with a fine that you consider unfair, you may contest the fine by filing an appeal (Recurso de Inconformidad), either in writing or in person, and this will be reviewed by a Municipal Judge. To do this, immediately request to file an appeal and call the Tourist Assistance Hot Line at 078
  • You must wear a seat belt. If you are seen not wearing one, you will be given a ticket.
  • If driving an ATV, you must use a helmet. You will be given a ticket if seen driving without one.
  • Talking on a cell phone while driving is also an offense and you maybe given a ticket for doing so.
  • Driving without a valid driver's license or car registration.
  • Drinking alcoholic beverages on the streets, sidewalks, or public property.
  • Exceeding the speed limits.
  • Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is illegal (DUI). In addition to the fine, you may be arrested and your car towed.
  • Driving recklessly, in autos or ATV's, including racing ATV's or cars.
  • Driving on the Beach.
  • Disturbing the peace (fireworks after 10:00 p.m.) or being a public nuisance.
  • Drinking in public.
  • Assaulting anyone or fighting in either the streets or the bars. Nudity or immoral conduct (urinating on the street, for example).
  • Producing, using, selling or possessing false documents (false I.D., etc.)
  • Bringing any weapons into Mexico is illegal. This includes knives.
  • Possession of drugs without a prescription.
  • Causing an automobile accident or injuring someone as a result of the accident.

If you are arrested, you should call the Tourist Assistance Hot Line 078 and ask them to notify your country's consulate. Consular officers can work to protect your interests. They can provide you with a list of local attorneys, contact your family and friends, transfer rmoney, etc.

Misconduct by Authorities

lf you feel that any public official or law enforcement authority has mistreated you, you may file a complaint. Be sure to obtain the persons name, agency, badge or patrol car number, as well as the place and time of the incident and report immediately to the Tourist Assistance Hot Line 078.